Over the past couple months I have been doing more translations in the area of wine, including blog posts for Spanish wine brand Jean Leon and the website for Miguel Torres Chile. Other projects have included translating contract annexes for an oilfield services company and editing a report on the 2016 Smart City Expo World Congress held in Barcelona.
Besides actual translation and editing work, another important aspect of my job is continuing professional development, or CPD. According to the Institute of Translation and Interpreting website, CPD 'is the systematic maintenance, improvement and broadening of knowledge and skills. It also encourages the development of personal qualities necessary for the execution of professional duties throughout your working life.' As a Qualified Member of the ITI, I aim to regularly undertake CPD by attending events, conferences and classes, to reach at least the 30-hour annual total the ITI recommends for its members.
From March 2016 until March 2017 I participated in the Remote Year programme, where I travelled the world alongside 70 other professionals, living and working as 'digital nomads'. Our itinerary included four months in Latin America, four months in Europe and four months in South-East Asia.
Upcoming CPD events:
- May: Institute of Translation & Interpreting Conference 2017; London Wine Fair
- October: 13th Annual Mediterranean Editors and Translators' Meeting (METM17)
Past CPD events:
- Together 2016 (European Language Industry Association conference)
- 42a Feria Internacional del Libro de Buenos Aires
- 12th Annual Mediterranean Editors and Translators' Meeting (METM16) (presenter)
- NWTN Boost Your Skills Day
- Saló Internacional de Turisme a Catalunya
- Going Global Show
- Beyond the Basics of Freelancing course run by Corinne McKay
- International Wine Tasting 2014 hosted by 12 international chambers of commerce
- 10th Annual Mediterranean Editors and Translators’ Meeting (METM14)
- World Travel Market 2014
- Private Catalan classes with Hola Manchester